Software developer jobs are generally in demand and high paying, so they are an excellent choice for international students seeking a stable career in the U.S. or abroad. However, it can be difficult to determine which companies are hiring international students and which ones offer visa sponsorships.
Interstride is here to help you begin your exciting new career as a software developer. We created a list of the top 10 companies that are actively hiring and sponsoring international student graduates for software developer jobs.
What Does a Software Developer Do?
A software developer does precisely what the job title implies — they develop software. This includes computer operating systems and apps. Software developers must be fluent in one or more programming languages. The most popular programming languages are:
Education Requirements for Software Developers
Most software developer jobs require a bachelor’s degree in software engineering or a related field such as computer science. This typically takes four years to complete. Many universities in the U.S. offer software engineering and computer science majors.
Software Developer Salary
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average annual salary for software developers in the U.S. is $120,990. The top 10% of software developers earn $168,570 a year on average.
Furthermore, the number of software developer jobs in the U.S. is expected to grow by 22% in the next ten years. That means up to 409,500 new job openings for this high-paying career.
Top 10 Companies Hiring Software Developers Now
- Google – Google is a multinational technology company that focuses on search engine technology, cloud computing, and advertising. It is one of the world’s most valuable companies. The headquarters are located in Mountain View, California, but Google has offices across the U.S.
- Amazon – Amazon is a multinational technology company headquartered in Seattle, Washington with offices in many other U.S. states. The company primarily focuses on e-commerce, cloud computing, artificial intelligence, and digital streaming. It’s also one of the world’s most valuable companies.
- Microsoft – Microsoft is another multinational technology company. It’s based in Redmond, Washington near Seattle. Microsoft has several other offices across the country. The company is best known for creating Windows operating systems, Microsoft Office, and Internet Explorer.
- Facebook – Facebook is a part of Meta, a company that owns and operates several popular social media and messaging apps including Instagram and WhatsApp. Meta has a large team of software developers to maintain and improve its family of apps.
- Wal-Mart – Wal-Mart is a multinational retailer. It sells merchandise, groceries, and more at thousands of storefronts and online. It’s one of the world’s most valuable companies with headquarters located in Bentonville, Arkansas.
- Apple – Apple is a technology company best known for creating Macintosh computers and iPhones. The company designs and sells numerous devices including tablets, smartwatches, and headphones. Apple also offers cloud computing, digital streaming, and other computer services.
- Deloitte – Deloitte is a top accounting firm in the U.S. It provides auditing, consulting, and tax services to major corporations and businesses. The Deloitte headquarters are located in New York City.
- JP Morgan – JP Morgan is a multinational financial institution. It is one of the biggest and oldest banks in the U.S. JP Morgan offers financial services to individuals, businesses, and governments in over 100 countries.
- Capgemini – Capgemini is a multinational technology company. The company provides consulting and IT services. While the headquarters are located in Paris, France, Capgemini has offices in many U.S. cities.
- Compunnel – Compunnel is an IT company that offers consulting, management, and e-learning solutions. This fast-growing company is based in New Jersey but has offices in many other states in the U.S.
Interstride Search Tips:
- Use the U.S. Visa Insights on the Interstride portal to search for employers hiring and sponsoring international talent.
- Use the search filter tool to explore companies based on visa type (e.g. H-1B, OPT), industry, job classification, location, and more.
- Further filter your search by experience level to find entry-level career opportunities that may provide sponsorship.
- Review the number of visa petitions filed for each company and job position.